Call for Participation: 2019 SF State Faculty Retreat
- Where: J.P. Leonard Library, San Francisco State Main Campus
- When: Thursday, January 24th, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Who: All lecturer faculty, tenured/tenure track faculty, and administrators
Proposals are due by Friday, November 16th, 2018.
The 2019 Faculty Retreat Steering Committee is inviting proposals that contribute to this year’s theme, Defining Social Justice: Making Missions Matter.
As our university prepares for many exciting changes, we want to focus our time at the retreat on approaching the difficult task of putting words to the spirit that guides the university: the contested and beautifully complex understandings of social justice on our campus, in our communities, and our world. At the same time that we are taking stock of our academic presents and futures, this year’s retreat offers an opportunity to articulate all the ways the social justice mission matters to us – in our research, our teaching, our disciplines, and our communities.
With this in mind, we invite proposals that consider one or more of the following questions:
- How do you infuse social justice into your classroom?
- How does social justice inform your curriculum?
- How do students grapple with social justice in their coursework and assignments?
- How does social justice inform your teaching, service, scholarship, and creative work?
- How does your scholarly and creative work contribute to understandings of social justice in your discipline?
Specifically we are calling for proposals in three different formats: GIFTS (Great Ideas for Teaching Students), Thematic Short Workshops, and Affinity Groups.
- Workshop: A 70 minute interactive session designed to share expertise and knowledge about the conference theme – social justice.
- GIFTS: A three–four minute presentation on one classroom assignment/engagement /activity
- Affinity Group: A 70 minute gathering group of faculty from many disciplines around a particular theme that relates to teaching, research, service, or life on campus.
NEW THIS YEAR!
- Early Bird Meetings – Affinity group meetings will meet first to help build community
- CEETL Plenary Workshop – This workshop will engage participants in defining together the work of social justice from our distinct and shared backgrounds and disciplines.
- Poster Session – This poster session will share Academic Master Plan working group progress and invite feedback.